Monday, February 6, 2012

Excess

Our small group Bible study just got done reading a book 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess. The premise of the book was for the author to go through different period of fasting in the following areas: Food, Clothes, Possessions, Media, Waste, Spending and Stress. Each of these topics were tackled for one month. Though I may not go to the extremes that she did, I valued some of the topics and points that she made....and some enough to begin to make some changes of my own.

We all have. I don't know where you are and what you have, and don't really want to know, but I know for David and I we have much. But my attitude and my priorities may not show that all the time. I would like to be categorized as financially in-control, dedicated to the cause of being frugal, generous with everything I have, including my time, things, and talents, and focused on others before myself. But sometimes, I find myself being a free-spirit (thank you Dave Ramsey for that identification), frequent and deeply devoted consumer, and oblivious to the big picture of how small things add up, accumulate, and clutter my house, life, mind and purpose.  This book allowed me to take some intentional time to begin to become aware of what I have and where I need to give. And not only give to get rid of, but to specifically meet the needs of someone else out of my sacrifice and discomfort.

This thought began with the following excerpt from the book....which I strongly encourage you to give some thought to the following questions:
1. What in my life, if taken away, would alter my value or identity?
2. What causes an unhealthy change of attitude, personality, or focus when "it" becomes threatened?
3. What is the thing outside of God that you put everything else on hold for?

Those questions began a process throughout examining the seven above mentioned areas addressed in this book. I know of hand that my family, my comfort, my plans are things that dictate when and how I help. This is unfortunate seeing that sharing of my time, talents and possessions could teach my child more about life and how to be a generous person. Sometimes I find that I use my good things in life as an excuse to not flourish in other good things in life. I will be the first person, however, to promote healthy boundaries in our lives and to not live life doing everything half-ass. That will burn you out to where you don't do anything well. But if there is a need, there is a passion of yours behind it, and a calling on your heart to give, we should all do this.

So I have initiated some "fasting" principles in my life to allow my heart, mind and soul to come back to the humble place they belong. (David always gets nervous when I read books like this because he knows he's about to have to protect everything in his possession from the Pam arm swipe, that shows no mercy, into the Going to Goodwill bag.....we're a good match and truly balance each other out).  The way I define fasting is the way the Bible and a point in the book explained:

But God's idea of a fast is less about what we're against and more about waht we are for. "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice, and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter--when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?"(Isaiah 58:6-7) When we hear "fast", we put on a yoke of self-denial.What God said "fast" He meant to take off the yoke of oppression. The Isaiah 58 fast is not about the mechanics of abstinence; it is a fast from self-obsession, greed, apathy, and elitism.

So, I no longer have a Facebook app on my phone as that constantly distracted me from the things of importance. Sorry guys...I really don't need/want to know what you're up to that badly and it might just cause us to talk more often. I don't want to hear about your exciting news unless its over dinner or coffee or a phone call. I will initiate those more...watch out.

The TV does not come on the minute we walk in the door from work/school. Matthew and I have had the best, uninterrupted times since we've done this. We play outside, we actually talk, I get to see him blossom and grow his personality...I have a relationship with my son that is 100% devoted to him at that moment. Mickey Mouse, you're cramping my style.

I do not have my phone on the coffee table at night, it is on my dresser. This is so I can truly capture those moments with my spouse that are without a child and without distraction. These are precious moments for us to be support and love for each other at the end of busy days in each of our lives. You're phone call or text can wait until I'm done being the best wife I can be to him.

As we are preparing for another child, downsizing is actually the word on my mind, which seems backwards. We don't need or want more things, we have enough to clothe, love and grow our child, but others may not be so fortunate. So, if its not absolutely necessary, its gone. Depending on the gender of our Jellybean, there may be much more that we are excited to give to others in need.

Those are just a few things of note...I'm still sorting through this and want this to really captivate my thoughts. Dave Ramsey already did an overhaul on my spending habits and helped me develop a conscience...yuck!! But I have seen positive fruit glean from that. 

In summary, my prayer became the following for others and how I may shape my life to show love to others.
I won't defile my blessings by imagining that I deserve them. Until every human receives the dignity I casually enjoy, I pray my heart aches with tension and my belly rumbles for injustice. "The first question which the priest and the Levite asked was: 'If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?' But the good Samaritan reversed the question: 'If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?" --Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment