Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Reflections

When you have a two year old in the house during Christmas, it is almost impossible NOT to get into the Christmas spirit. And our house is no exception to that. We are fascinated by the lights, trees, Frosty's, Santa's, and anything Christmas. It is fun, exciting and the anticipation is Killing us.

I was reminded as well, by my two year old sweet son, about the real meaning of Christmas last night. (There is truly is an innocence portrayed through my son that I wish I possessed in my faith). As we were coming in from our daily walk he made it a point to tell us that "We need to say night, night to Baby Jesus." He walked right over to our nativity scene outside and patted Jesus and said Night, Night. He then pointed to Joseph and Mary and said "They're praying (referencing their folded hands)."  My heart was flooded as I saw a simple recognition from my son as to the importance of who Jesus is. I have countless memories and times in my life to that point to God's power, sovereignty, and faithfulness in my life, do I just simply stop and praise Him and recognize Him for who He is???

So I continued to reflect on this, coupled with our sermon this past Sunday and began to understand a couple of new truths/understandings for myself this Christmas.

The first of those being that Jesus came for everyone. I've always understood that intellectually but received a new picture of that this year. In Luke 2:11 the angel of the Lord tells the Shepard's "Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord."  Shepard's in that day were the rejects, the failures, the ones last picked for the team. They were viewed as dishonest and mischievous. However, in spite of those traits, they were the first people God chose to share the good news with. They were probably never given privileged information, they probably never were in the inner circle, but God saw them differently...he saw them as worthy to know that His son had come just for them....a Savior has been born TO YOU!!!  I can almost see them saying "Me?!!? Really?!?!" We all have received this for unto us we have been given Christ and we did nothing to deserve it. He came to the shepard's in their need and He continues to come near to us today. God saw the specific need for Christ in their life and mine and provided His son to fill that need in our lives.

As I look around my house and think back when I was pregnant with Matthew, there was ALOT of preparation. ALOT!!! Our house was and still is full of things to clothe him, bathe him, feed him and entertain him. He lacks for nothing and we are blessed to be able to provide that for him. As I looked at my son and realizing that he is grasping some key concepts of life, I was amazed at how big he had become. Not only physically but mentally he is growing leaps and bounds. Then, this morning, I read Luke 2: 7 "and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn." My first realization was that the King of Kings came into this world humble and all his needs were met...as well as all of mine through His life.

Secondly, I admire Mary and discovered a little more about her through these verses. She delivered her baby, not at Hillcrest, with plenty of people around to help and care for things, but just with her husband and in a barn. But you know what, she did the best with what she had. Love prevailed from her and overflowed into taking care of her newborn. So many times, I'm sure I get stuck in "We need this...it will make things easier." But we don't, we have what we need and in this case with Mary....Love truly did hold things together.

I also wonder, if I would make room for someone, maybe even the mother and father of the Lord, in my home if asked? What hospitality and generosity am I getting caught up in this year? Am I so focused on my family and the activity inside my home, that I forget to recognize the need that is knocking on my door? And if I do answer it do I provide with my "barn" or do I give them my best, the master suite? There are people that need...am I reaching out and being the gift of life to them, just like Jesus was that gift to me.

There is alot to think about this Christmas. I think the "festivities" of Christmas are good and healthy as they allow us to have fun and see the sparkles in everyone eyes. I challenge myself, my family, and others to take more than a moment, but some time each day to realize that without a small child's life coming near to us at Christmas, these things would be worthless and without purpose. Find yourself reminiscing on the meanings and truths of Christmas and I pray you are blessed.

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment