Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Marci

Dear Marci,

You are my oldest (by age and otherwise) friend and I count you as the best friend a girl could dream of. We have some serious friendship history and that is unique to us. I have no other friend that has been around for 17 years, gone through awkward (and hormonal) junior high and high school years, trips to Colorado, older sibling fights, dating, love and loss, driving me to school because you are MUCH older than me, being roommates with me freshman year, Celine Dion sing offs, engagement, marriage, and now kiddos. Funny thing about us is that we've done all those major things pretty close together, especially our marriage a week a part from each other. I'm grateful that we didn't have kids at the same time because I wanted you to pave the way for that one so I could learn all the things not to do and to do and what to expect from you!!!! And sure enough, here you come running to the hospital while I'm fighting through contractions to tell me I can do it.

Seriously though, I am eternally grateful to you. It's like God knew that I would need someone to be there with me through those major committments and activities in my life and that person has always been you. I'm thankful that you have come and you have been that support for me when I needed it. I can only hope that I have met you in your need as much as you have me. Your parents have been an example to me as well through the years of generosity and committment to each other. And now I see those same things ringing true for you and Kyle's relationship and family. I'm so very proud of you and the woman you have come to be. You love deeply and have a genuine concern for those people you care about and are close to. I'm just thankful that I'm on the receiving end of that.

We go weeks without talking with each other (though we wish we didn't), and we pick up the phone or go to lunch and its like it was yesterday. That's uncommon with people these days, but there is just something different and unique about our friendship. I never wonder if we aren't friends or get upset that we haven't talked, and neither do you (that you've told me) we just truly accept each other for who we are and what we have going on.

I've had my share of crazy moments and not so nice moments but through it all you have stuck by my side. One thing I'm grateful for is that you always loved me but you told me when you thought things weren't right. I know you are true to your values and that stuck with me. You mean what you say and say what you mean, which has reached deep into my heart through the years. Since we've become mom's I have appreciated that even more. You have been quick to encourage me in my efforts but also been real with me. That helped me more than any book, advice, or whatever. I knew I wasn't the only one and you let me be real and cry on your shoulder or call when Matthew wouldn't sleep, or discuss how much milk do I give this thing that keeps spitting it back at me?!!?  You were there loving me through it all.

 I respect you as a friend, wife, mother of 2!!, and woman. There is never a doubt that if I need something you are the person I call. You get me and you understand where I'm coming from and you respect me for that. I always have your support no matter what and you have always been my #1. Of course, we always laugh when we're together and can laugh at each other as well. That has brought us through many a time.

Marci, you have been that friend to me that people always dream about, I just got lucky and got you for 17 years AND counting!!! I hope you feel appreciated, loved, and that you have a safe place to land in this friend as well because that is what you have given me.

For you I am grateful.

1 comment: