Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Daddy

Dear Dad,

You are a rock and you have been the silent leader in our family. I am very thankful for you and for the fact that now you are a Papa as well and I know without a doubt that Matthew is thankful for you. Through the years you have been constant, faithful, involved, and a the hardest worker I know. I always knew you were working hard to be able to provide for your family. The long nights, trips, phone calls during Thanksgiving were all taken with our best interest at heart. You have always put your family first and have given me an example of what it looks like to work hard both at work and at home.

I know that you have prayed for me daily, because you've told me but also because I just know. You have given me an understanding, that many don't have, of what a committed, loving and concerned Daddy should be. I've never doubted that at all. I also have an understanding of how God loves me and how I can approach Him because I feel like it would be just like talking to you. There is acceptance, love and grace there.

We are alot alike, which has made for some interesting times of working together. One thing we have in common is we like to work alone because no one can do it as good as we can....ha! But its hard being magnanimous, right?!?!!?  Anyways, I know that alot of the confident, complete, focused and hard working woman I am today is because of the example and teachings that you've given me. I'm thankful for all the lessons you have taught me and for the way you simply lived your life and let us watch you. That was probably the best learning of all. You are the most humble man I know and you are always quick to help.

Since being married, I have been happy to find that now I have two guys that love me a whole lot. You have accepted David as your own and have been there for him just as you are for me. I am very thankful for the relationship that you two have and that there is a level of respect and appreciation between you. You also adore Matthew, and vice versa with you. He is completely enamored with his Papa and talks of you often. It stuck with me that in the hospital after Matthew was born, that you didn't run over to Matthew, you came to me first to make sure I was good before you went and saw him. That meant alot to me.

You are the father that they should write books about and model after and teach others to be like. Not because you're perfect but because you are real, you are involved and you made, and still do, a conscience decision to love and serve your family. I'm thankful mostly for having the title Daddy's Little Girl and for still being able to feel safe in your arms and that I can always call you Daddy.

For you I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment