Thursday, September 15, 2011

Distractions

I'm a song nut, there is always one running threw my head, I am usually able to come up with a line in a conversation, and more often than not give someone a song to listen to related to their issue of concern. One song has been haunting me, in a good way, the last few weeks.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face.
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace.

Simple, but so profound. When I hear this song driving I have thoughts of the cars just moving out of the way and the road being straight and knowing exactly where to go (wouldn't that be a nice reality). When I'm hurting, confused, or lacking perspective, I hear this song and it seems to draw me back to where I need to be. Again, simply, quietly and like a gentle hand in the small of back leading back to the path.

David has been working alot with a big deadline at work today (Praise the Lord) and it has been tough to be at home by myself and have "the weight of the world" on me. However, I have been burning up this song and it has allowed me just the right perspective. What are the things of the earth for me? Impatience, wanting to look good, selfishness with my time, not giving my all to my family, thinking of me only and thinking I deserve more, allowing my work to be driven by me rather than purpose...just to name a few.

But when I step back, stop and listen I see the light of His glory and grace. Many times I think we get so wrapped up in this earth that we don't even stop and look up. I was running the other morning and it is dark when I go. At one point I told my friend "Wow! Look at how bright the stars are. I guess I forgot to look up this morning." Isn't that true of our lives? Our focus becomes inward, we're so focused on the task, even good tasks, that we slowly loose the perspective and purpose behind what we're doing. I'm challenging myself to Turn, Look, Follow, and live in the Light. I hope you do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment