Friday, August 5, 2011

Go Ahead, Say It!!

Ever have that thought during the day about someone and think "I should call or message them." Me too. There's so many reasons why we can't, shouldn't, or forget to tell that person they were on our mind. Many times I've thought about someone and then gotten busy at work, with Matthew, or myself and go on not ever remembering that I've had that thought. I focus on MY schedule, MY family, MY activities...picking up on a theme?!?!  That's right, the focus is way wrong.

I've made a commitment to tell people when they are on my mind. This is not a long, drawn out conversation (unless it leads to that). It's just a text, a call, an email or visit. It is free, it's quick, and it's meaningful. All it takes is a little bit of effort and willingness to step out of our self and focus on someone else.

I have been richly blessed by the times when I have made this effort. I would say about 95% of the time I get a response that is very thankful for the comment. Someone will say that they are having a rough day, they were also thinking about me, they were needing a friend, I'm able to tell them I understand, etc, etc. Many people live their life isolated and keep their hurts, or hangups inside and don't share them. It's taboo, no one will understand, I don't have someone I'm comfortable with sharing...all reasons why people keep those things silent. But when I reach out, its as if I've opened the door of my soul for them so they can see its safe and thus, open up themselves and a connection is made. That is pretty stinking cool.

So, the next time you have a thought about someone, don't hesitate, just tell them simply "You were on my mind". And I hope that you are rewarded for allowing yourself to get out of your bubble and be humble enough to walk along side someone else who really just needed someone to notice them.

No comments:

Post a Comment